Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Quaker Family History Continues

In my family research I have found that all most all of my family lines have descended from Quaker origins.  Of course, through the generations not all of the family has remained in the Friends church.   Although we do have lots of ministers in the family line.  I'll go into that in a later post.

In this post I will tell you about Franklin Chant, the only son of Lulu Pickett Chant and Arthur Chant.  He is the half-brother to my grandfather.  Franklin was born in Richmond, Indiana on November 7, 1898.  I

As I'm sure is the case with everyone, my research is ongoing and I don't feel like I have the complete story on some of my ancestors.  I have lots of theories.  Franklin married Lillian Roth 
on September 22, 1926.  I believe they met at the Ft. Wayne Bible College.  I know Lillian graduated from there and I found Frank listed in a city directory in 1929.  He was a coremaker at the Bible Training School in Ft Wayne.  

Frank was pastor at several churches over the years.  He spent time in Tennessee and Ohio.  He spent a few years as pastor of the Bloomingdale Friends Church in Parke County, Indiana.  When he died he was the pastor of the Greenfield Friends Church, in Hancock County, Indiana.

Lillian served at the Greenfield Friends Meeting in Indiana, the Penn Friends meeting in Penn, Michigan, and Ludlow Falls Friends Meeting in Ludlow Falls, Ohio.  In the early years she was the assistant matron at the Bible Training School in Ft Wayne, Indiana.

Frank died April 28, 1959, in Greenfield, Indiana.  Lillian died October 4, 1986 in Richmond, Indiana.  There are buried beside each other in Earlham Cemetery, Richmond, Indiana.

Frank came from a long line of Friends, both his parents were members of the Friends church.  My connection to the Friends goes back as far as the Massachusetts Bay Colony.  






2 comments:

  1. My family on my father's side are predominantly Quaker. They came from Pennsylvania, to Ohio, then the next generation traveled on to Kansas looking to outrun slavery. In Kansas they shed their religion and joined the Union army.

    I hope to find out more about my Ohio Quaker roots someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Several of my family members actually fought for the Union army, some cousins even died, but they stayed in the church. I'm not sure how that all worked out because I thought they weren't supposed to fight.

      Delete