Thursday, January 31, 2013

The Best Genealogy Tips

Where is the best place to look for the most valuable genealogy tips.  I have been doing research for abrout nine months, and although,  I am very happy with my results, I have a long way to go yet.

 I haven't figured out anything about probate records and what I am even looking for on them.  Is there someplace where I can find copies of probate records to look at?  I thing it might help to figure out what I am looking for if I have something I can see before I try looking for them.

I hear people saying I have been searching for 25 years and I am still am not done.  I wonder with the advances in technology if that will always be the case.  If we find things so much quicker will we run out of relatives or will we just keep extending our lines?



5 comments:

  1. I just wanted to let you know that your blog is listed in today's Fab Finds post at http://janasgenealogyandfamilyhistory.blogspot.com/2013/02/follow-fridayfab-finds-for-february-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can find copies of probate records online (for free) through FamilySearch (www.familysearch.org). If you're looking for information on how to *use* probate records, try a good guide for your area, or standard references like _The Researcher's Guide to American Genealogy_ by Val D. Greenwood, and _The Source: A Guidebook to American Genealogy_ by Szucs and Leubking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For general learning, at FamilySearch.org is the "Learn" tab where you can find articles and some short getting started videos. Ancestry.com also has a Learning Center with a variety of articles.

    And keep reading blogs! There are so many and everyone has a different set of skills to share.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will check those out, and I will definitely keep reading blogs. I am just amazed at how great they are.

    ReplyDelete