Sunday, March 10, 2013

Fearless Females - Day 6 Religion


In honor of National Women's History Month, I will be following the blogging prompts from The Accidental Genealogist blog. The prompts are interesting and I am truly enjoying this.  Here is day 10.

March 10 — What role did religion play in your family? How did your female ancestors practice their faith? If they did not, why didn’t they? Did you have any female ancestors who served their churches in some capacity?


Religion has always played a large role in my family history.  My mother's father's family was Quaker on both sides of the family.  My Quaker ancestors moved around the country with other Quakers to escape religious persecution   They probably left their homelands for the same reason.  

When they came to Indiana they moved here in a group to Richmond, Indiana area which was primarily settled by Quakers.  When my grandfather's dad died his mother married a second Quaker.

My grandfather was a minister and his half-brother was a Quaker minister.  

Religion continued to play a major role in my mother's life.  She was raised in the church.  As an adult she always attended church.  

During my years of growing up, my mother attended the Nazarene church when I was a young child.  Later, as I got to be an older child, she attended a church named The Thirteenth Street Tabernacle.  In the last years of her life she returned to the Nazarene Church.

I remember my mom being extremely active in the church.  She taught Sunday school, she made quilts with the women's group, she drove the church bus, she lead Bible studies, and she sang for the services.  My daughter remembers going to church with her grandma and thinking her grandma was famous, because everyone knew her.  She remembers everyone calling her grandma, "Sister Plummer".

Church meant so much to my mother.  It was important for her to keep her relationship with Christ.  She needed to be involved and help others find their way.  

When I was growing up she insisted on her children being in church.  She was determined to raise us in the way that she though we should go.


I believe my sister had Mom's name added to the Memorial Roll after Mom's death.

I have a brother who preaches, although he has to work another job to support himself.  He doesn't want to be paid to spread the word.  

My mother, a fearless female, lived the life that she felt drawn to live and left a legacy behind her.

No comments:

Post a Comment